5GCity – Transforming Cities into 5G Neutral Hosts
The 28th edition of EuCNC 2019 – Enabling Smart Connectivity – 18 to 21 June, Valencia, continues to bring together a vast community of cutting-edge research, industries and business on telecommunications and specifically 5G from all over the world, to present their latest research results, showcase demos, and trials testing from successive European R&D programmes co-financed by European Commission. Sponsored by IEEE Communication Society and the European Association for Signal Processing; and supported by the European Commission, this year’s EuCNC 2019 will be co-located with the 7th Global 5G Event – 17-18 June, which brings together the world 5G industrial associations: 5G-IA, IMT-2020, 5G-Forum, 5G-MF, 5G-Brasil and 5G-Americas, to discuss progresses on 5G from around the world in an intense 2-days programme inspired by the theme Creating the smart digital future.
Once again, Partners from the 5GCity Consortium project will be heavily animating attending the EUCNC event in Valencia andwith multiple activities: participation to participating actively in panel discussions and special sessions with the 5G scientific community convened in Valencia, presentationto sha reof results and achievements, showcasing of present results, showcase demos and a live outdoor and trial. As usual and even more this year thanks to the Global Event co-location, we plan a very intense and fruitful scientific week at EUCNC in Valencia, and look forward to further s and strengthening collaboration with the 5G Community in EU represented by the other EU Horizon2020 5G -PPP Phase 2 projects, and worldwide.
The 5GCity project is developing a distributed cloud and radio platform for municipalities and infrastructure owners acting as 5G Neutral Hosts. It is a completely de-centralised 3-tier architecture where compute, storage and networking are allocated between core and edge segments of the 5G network infrastructure. On top of this distributed infrastructure, we provide unified control and orchestration of all the radio-edge-core resources, through powerful APIs and serviced design toolkits for innovative vertical application services, e.g. to program connectivity with QoS, implement flexible media acquisition, transcoding, etc. Our 5G Network Slicing and Service Orchestration technologies are used in live city pilots in the cities of Barcelona (ES), Bristol (UK) and Lucca (IT) to run trials of Media Verticals use cases which will assess how a Neutral Host operator can offer mobile connectivity solutions on demand to implement dedicated network slices for different media services in areas with a high concentration of users.
All Consortium’s EuCNC2019 activities are illustrated in the following Agenda:
EXHIBITION BOOTH 9
Monday 17 – Friday 21 June 2019
The goal with 5GCity demonstrations at EuCNC2019 is to showcase how easy is to transform city infrastructures in 5G Neutral Hosts and how powerful and flexible the 5G service design and lifecycle management is with 5GCity platform. The project partners plan to show to the international audience the 1st complete release of 5GCity platform and SDK, integrated and in support of a few relevant media use cases in a near real-life scenario. Furthermore, the consortium will also present its 5G Neutral Host business modelling approach at the exhibition booth.
At the Booth it will be possible to see our demos (detailed next), discuss results and advancements with our technical team and collect information on our latest activities in the three pilots in Barcelona (ES), Bristol (UK), and Lucca (IT).
5GCity demonstrations at EUCNC2019 will consist of outdoor and indoor activities around the conference centre, distributed between the 5GCity exhibition booth and the park outside the convention building. The partners will show different media use cases running on heterogeneous slices on the shared infrastructure managed by the 5GCity platform.
5GCity will present four demos at the booth:
- 5GCity SDK + Neutral Host Platform: This demo has two parts: 1) it demonstrates how 5GCity SDK facilitates creation, packaging & on-boarding of network services; 2) it shows how the 5GCity neutral host platform enables an ICT infrastructure owner to slice and lease its infrastructure to 3rd parties (e.g. MVNO).
- Video Acquisition & Production: This demo includes acquisition of live high-quality multiple videos from the event and streaming through 5GCity platform. Such services also can support the engagement of public in the media production for big events.
- Augmented Reality service: This demo offers immersive experiences with distribution of UHD contents for city services. The demo leverages on 5G orchestration to offer immersive experience to end-user (e.g., tourists) who can see a reconstruction of antique city buildings and towers in real-time with enriched context information superimposed via holographic models.
- Mobile Backpack Transmission: This demo highlights how high bandwidth connection over a dedicated network slice can enhance live TV transmissions from a mobile backpack. In this case, we use acquisition, processing, and streaming/broadcasting of multiple live HD videos from a professional mobile TV camera which moves in the outdoor demo area of the conference site for typical journalist activities. The camera is connected to a TV production and streaming service station installed in the 5GCity booth.
The above proposed demonstrations are aligned with the Radio Access and Softwarization (RAS) and Network Softwarization (NET) main tracks of the EUCNC conference.
A series of activities will be organized by 5GCity in the Outdoors Exhibition Area. Our colleagues from Betevé (the Barcelona media TV Company, partner of 5GCity) will document outdoor events with live TV transmission on top of the 5GCity platform deployed in Valencia: camera operators equipped with a 5GCity video backpack will transmit live via 5GCity network to editors at the 5GCity booth for production and subsequent streaming on the Internet.
Through this 5GCity-powered outdoor broadcasting events we will demonstrate also the high portability of our 5GCity Neutral Host solution along with showcasing one key media use case for 5G in the cities.
Tuesday 18 June 2019
• 5G & Verticals – Media services with 5G in cities: Smart Tourism and Smart Stadium
A live event to discuss the future of tourism and sport event consumption in cities with 5G. Important hosts to be announced soon. Will attend the panel: Darko RATKAJ – EBU
Wednesday 19 June 2019
• 5GTechCorner: Status of 5G in Europe
At the outside setting, a focus panel with interviews of key representatives of 5G in Europe to present the “5G deployment in EU” report by INCITES. Will attend the panel: EC representative; Colin Willcock 5G IA; and 5GCity partners Theodoros Rokkas INCITES and i2CAT.
Thursday 20 June 2019
• 5GCCC (Competence-Centre-Corner): 5G Jobs
A live focus panel with students from the UPV and local SMEs, Telco & verticals to discuss about jobs opportunities opened by the 5G ecosystem.
ThD1: Special Session 3: 5G trials for vertical industries
Session organised by NRG-5, with the participation of 5GCity, 5G-MEDIA, and 5G Essence. Chaired: Rita Spada (Wind Tre, Italy). Two short papers will be presented by 5GCity partners.
Thursday, June 20 14:00 – 15:45 (Room 1)
Path to 5G smart cities: experiences from media and public safety pilots in 5GCity.
Gino Carrozzo (Nextworks, IT); Muhammad Shuaib Siddiqui (i2CAT, Spain)
- Definition and Evaluation of Latency in 5G with Heterogeneous Use Cases and Architectures.
Gino Carrozzo (Nextworks, IT); Muhammad Shuaib Siddiqui (i2CAT, Spain).
TuB8: Workshop 2 – Session 2 From Cloud-ready to Cloud-native transformation
Session organized by 5G PPP Architecture WG
Tuesday, June 18 11:00 – 13:00 (Room 8)
• “Slicing-aware service orchestration”, Presenter: Apostolos Papageorgiou (i2CAT, Spain)
WeC6: Workshop 5 – Session 1: Emerging 5G Business Models -: Opportunities for SMEs and large companies-lesson from 5G PPP (5G-EBM)
Session organized by Networld2020 SME WG and various 5G PPP Phase 2 and Phase 3 projects to discuss exploitation potential and concrete innovation opportunities for SMEs.
Wednesday, June 19 14:00 – 17:30 (Room 6)
- SMEs in the Spotlight – Lightning talks with Q&A on taking 5G innovations to market
- “5G new opportunities for verticals and technology providers: an SME viewpoint”, Nicola Ciulli (Nextworks, Italy),
- “Business Models for Neutral Hosts”, Theodora Rokkas (Incites, Luxembourg)
ThC8: Workshop 8 – Session 1: International Workshops on 5G Architectures
Session organized by 5G PPP Architecture WG
Thursday, June 20 14:00 – 15:30 (Room 8)
- Jointly presentation of findings and analysis of 5GPPP Phase 2, 5GCity participation on White Paper architecture; attending Antonino Albanese (Italtel, Italy)
With great satisfaction from all partners involved in the joining effort, two 5GCity papers have been accepted for presentation at the EUCNC main conference track with publication in conference proceedings and IEEE Xplore indexing.
ThC4: Network Security
Thursday, June 20 14:00 – 15:30 (Room 4)
Secure location aware VM deployment on the edge through OpenStack
and ARM TrustZone.
5GCity Authors: Teodora Sechkova, Enrico Barberis, Michele Paolino (Virtual Open Systems SAS, France)
Abstract: The paper presents the location-aware capabilities of a trusted EdgeVIM, work done by Virtual Open Systems as part of the 5GCity project. The goal of developing a VIM with integrated security features is to build a trusted edge based on the hardware isolation of ARM TrustZone. On top of that, the trusted VIM is used as a secure foundation to perform location-aware virtual machine deployment utilizing the dispersed nature of the infrastructure.
WeC3: Orchestration and Virtualisation
Wednesday, June 19 14:00 – 15:30 (Room 3)
• Network Slicing-aware NFV Orchestration for 5G Service Platforms
5GCity Authors: Hamzeh Khalili, Apostolos Papageorgiou and Shuaib Siddiqui (i2CAT, Spain); Dimitra Simeonidou, Carlos Colman-Meixner and Reza Nejabati (University of Bristol, UK); Gino Carrozzo (Nextworks, Italy).
Abstract: The paper presents a survey of how various network virtualization solutions address slicing, reviewing the management and orchestration tools available to implement network slicing, and describing the slice-aware orchestration platform designed for 5GCity. The 5GCity “Slice Manager” enables the virtualized and non-virtualized network elements and function to be easily logically segmented, configured and reused in order to meet various demands.
The complete program on EuCNC webpage
Paper presentations will be published on 5GCity website after the event.
www.5gcity.eu; @5gcity; firstname.lastname@example.org
+34 638 687 554
+34 606 516 106