The potential of 5G technologies for smarty city solutions has captured the attention of cities worldwide. The value of the smart cities industry is expected to reach $1.45 trillion globally by 2020 .
The 5GCity project focuses on live demonstration of 5G services in three cities already going through digital transformation: Barcelona, Bristol and Lucca.
For these reasons, a 5G Smart City Use Case Award has been implemented. The award aims to ignite the generation of Smart City Use Case Ideas that could be manifested given the 5G technologies. Since Smart Cities are a recognized vertical sector of 5G, the Smart City Use Cases could span everything from arts and culture to work and employment with focus on end user benefits i.e., the citizen.
JURY & WINNER
Evaluation panel is composed by:
- Bernard Barani, 5G EC Deputy Head of Unit
- Colin Willcock, 5G IA Chair
- David Ferrer, Secretary of Telecommunications, Cybersecurity and Digital Society from the Catalan Government
- Sergi Figuerola, 5GCity Project Coordinator
- Tomeu Sabater Suau, Digital Transformation Manager Mobile World Capital
|5G Smart City Use Case Idea Short list for SCEWC2018 Presentations|
|Name/Organization||5G Smart City Use Case Idea Title|
|Federico Michele Facca / Martel Innovate & Infotec||Green Route|
|Simon Abboud & Dana Hawi / Instituto Empresa & KU Leuven||Parking Facilitation and Enhancement of self-driving Experience|
|Ricard Comulada / Tridonic||Sound Sensors|
|Ismael Teijón / Celling 5G Solutions||Low Cost & Mass Deployment 5G Solution|
|Berta Serracanta, Àlex Costa, Sergi Sànchez, Miquel Puig / UPC||Blockchain Tranport 5G|
3 finalists awarded:
- 1st Prize: 3K euros + 1 MWC2019 pass
Simon Abboud & Dana Hawi / Instituto Empresa & KU Leuven
- 2nd Prize: 1K euros + 1 MWC2019 pass
Federico Michele Facca / Martel Innovate & Infotec
- 3rd Prize: 1 MWC2019 pass
Ricard Comulada / Tridonic